Wednesday, April 18, 2012

RIP DIck Clark

Dick Clark passed away today at the age of 82.

The Dick Clark you see pictured is the way I want to remember Dick Clark, not the way we've seen him the last few New Years' Eves after the stroke he suffered in 2004.  To me , Dick Clark was a God, a man who was truly America's Oldest Living Teenager, and the person who brought the best music of the day into my home every day and then every Saturday on "American Bandstand".

I never met Dick Clark, but I did see him tape a few episodes of "The $10,000 Pyramid" back when I was in High School.  I watched him on TV, I listened to him on the radio, and I read his book.  And yes, I watched him all those New Years' Eves after his stroke with a combination of pity and respect that I could never really explain.

In tribute to Dick Clark, here's a video of the original "American Bandstand" theme and scenes from the show's early years.

Rest In Peace, Dick.  You brought joy to untold millions as a host, producer, and living legend.


Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment